Sunday, March 26, 2006

Satchel construction trial run

I made a go of trying to get the satchel sewn together today. It took quite a while to get it soaked down and I ended up sewing the bottom of the gussets and the front on one side together and then took the seams back out again a couple of times. I also realized that there was no way to get the seams to turn in nicely with the thickness of the leather. I took a break and went back to read the Waterer article and discovered, buried in the caption discussing the seams, that the edges were skived to a bevel. So I dug out a skiver and trimmed the edges down and touched up the dye. I'll give it another try tomorrow night. The good news is that I've punched the sewing holes already, so it's just a matter of getting the pieces soaked down and sewn together.

No comments: