Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The lanyard project (final product)

I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world who has to wear an ID badge/key card for work and hates the options you have for wearing it. It's hard for me to use the little belt clips with the retractable cord because of the type of clothes I wear, plus I'm a klutz and I know I would catch them on something so I wear it on a lanyard around my neck. The lanyards that are out there are out of fabric tape or cord and they don't look good with work clothes. I'd been trying to find a good solution but had been having problems finding a good way to attach the badge. I finally found silver plated swivel hooks at Fire Mountain Gems and made my first lanyard last night.



It made out of blue Czech druk glass beads, black glass beads I found I had hanging around, silver tube beads, silver findings and the silver plated swivel hook. I wore it to work today and the reaction from my co-workers just blew me away. I think I am going to be a very busy girl making these for a while. The only change for those will be that I am going to use silver plated brass beads to keep the costs down. I will, of course, post pictures as I get those made. I also may try to do a step by step on how I make them.

2 comments:

Kimmy said...

I would love to get you photos on how to make these. I have to wear a ID and would love to make some to match outfits. Thanks

Anonymous said...

I make lanyards for my coworkers and I can tell you a few problems I have had. When I first started, I was using wire that you would use for jewelry and the crimp beads. I found that lanyards do get caught on various things and if pulled they will break and the beads will go flying. Then, I switched to plastic stretchy cord which is what I currently use. The peoblem I have with that is fitting the cord through the small hole on the beads. I like using czech beads and some decorative glass beads which have the smaller holes. The stronger the plastic cord the thicker it is and it won't fit through the holes of the nicer beads. So, needless to say, I'm in search of other ideas which to string these beads onto. One coworker bought a lanyard from our gift shop at work and it broke 1 week latter. I thought it would work well because it had a magnetic clasp so if it was pulled the magnetic clasp would come apart but that failed too.