Wednesday, March 29, 2006
I'll check on it tomorrow to see if it needs another coat of the oil and then all I have to do is cut out the strap, get it dyed, finish it with the Neat's foot oil and then lace it on. That's something I can easily do this weekend.
Monday, March 27, 2006
Yes, I actually got it put together, above you can see back and front views of it sewn together.
This was the most difficult part of the project for me because I decided to try something new and sew the gussets in the way John Waterer had indicated it was don on the original satchels, with the raw edges turned in. This is a common method of construction when working with garment leathers where you can turn the item inside out, sew it and then turn the right side back out. I couldn't do that with my satchel because it is made out of heavier tooling leather so I had to force the seams to turn in. I did this by sewing the back edge and gusset together, then sewing the gusset loosely to the bottom of the satchel and tightening the seam as I shifted the gusset so that the seam folded in. I then sewed the gusset to the front of the bag in a similar way, sewing loose seams for a few inches, stopping to tighten the stitches and repeat until I had the seam done. I repeated the same process on the other side. The thread shows because it was so dang hard to tighten and you can see the awl holes, but I got it done and I did it the way the original ones were done. Next I'll be putting Neat's foot oil on the satchel, cutting out, dyeing and finishing the strap and lacing it on.
Overall I'm happy with how it's turned out so far. I'm absolutely thrilled with how the tooling turned out, that went much better than I had expected. The sewing turned out OK. Not my best, but pretty good considering I was doing a rather difficult new technique. The only thing I'm wishing I had done differently was to make the front flap longer. Not bad for such an involved project.
Sunday, March 26, 2006
Wednesday, March 22, 2006
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
The only problem is that I had planned to try to make one or two of the all silver bracelets for the business and I severely underestimated the number of small beads I would need for this bracelet so I have to buy more now. Thankfully I already have the clasps and charms so it shouldn't be too expensive.
Sunday, March 19, 2006
I'll try to get some pictures once everything is dry and post them.
I just checked on the pieces and there are areas that have dyed unevenly and look like water stains on the main bag piece. I'm starting to get very discouraged at this point because it seems like after a great start with how the tooling turned out, nothing else has worked out as well. My only hope now is that the neatsfoot oil that I'll be using for a finish will even everything back out.
Saturday, March 18, 2006
My current big project is making a reproduction of a medieval Irish book satchel. I finished up the tooling on it today and took some pictures of the tooled portions before I dye it.
This is the tooling on the back of the satchel. It is based off of the design carved on one of the stones in Dunfallandy, Tayside. The design has been deeply engraved into the leather using a wooden stylus. This is comparable to two of the existent examples of these satchels. Below is a picture of the front panel which is based off the design on a cross at the Kirk of Norham, Northumberland. The design on the front flap is the same as on the front panel.
The next step will be to get the side gussets and strap cut out and all of it dyed. I will be using an iron oxide dye which will turn the tooling leather a grey-black color that should darken up to black when I add the finish.