Thursday, January 25, 2007
This is another custom lanyard for one of the supervisors at work. I really like the way it turned out, it's very elegant. After making it I'm really tempted to do one for myself in black an silver.
This piece features the four wind mahjong tile beads strung with sky blue quartz and white lace agate. I think this is my favorite bracelet of the ones I've made recently.
This was an intersting experiment, oval mother of pearl beads with emerald roundelles. It doesn't look bad, but I'm still not sure about the combination.
Sunday, January 21, 2007
Exterior shot showing the tooling and the button closure on the front. I'm still really happy with how the tooling turned out, but the pictures in natural light are making me notice all the tool marks from the beveler that I didn't get smoothed out.
Interior shot of the piece. It is lined with rust pigskin split and the journal is held in with straps of slightly lighter tooling leather. This is not actually the original plan, originally I had planned on having a pocket one each side of the journal, but I cut the main piece too short and there was no way to follow that plan and use a 5" x 7" journal refill in it. I didn't want to use a smaller refill because it didn't fit as nicely so I had to come up with an alternate plan.
I think it turned out nicely in the end but I'm still a bit frustrated with the problems I had because they were caused by me not thinking ahead.
Monday, January 15, 2007
The design is an Eastern European folk design and I decided to try inverted tooling rather than regular tooling. In inverted tooling you cut the design as normal, but bevel into the design rather than beveling out from the design. It creates an interesting texture and is really well suited to this type of design. I got the idea to try it from this older tip sheet by Al Stohlman which features a Pennsylvania Dutch folk design. On a whim, I decided to try copper paint on the design before I antiqued the piece expecting the copper paint to end up being very muted. It didn't and even though it didn't end up the way I had expected I am really thrilled with the effect. The whole thing has got me really fired up about doing leatherwork again.
Sunday, January 07, 2007
I made this one for A for Christmas. It is made, like all of the lanyards I've done so far, out of glass and silver plated beads with silver plated findings. This was done with the addition of a parrot charm on the swivel hook.
This is a lanyard that I made for one of my co-workers. Again it's done with glass and silver plated beads and she had picked out the beads she wanted me to use. I really wasn't sure how the design was going to work out because I wasn't too sure how the beads would look together, but it came out very nice. Nice enough that another co-worker decided she wanted on in similar colors.
This last one is one I made for my Etsy store. Again it is all silver plated and glass beads, even the ones that look a bit like hematite. On this one I set the design up so I could use as many of the lilac luster beads a possible because I accidentally ordered them twice.