Sunday, January 21, 2007

Completed floral journal cover (finally)

I finally got the journal cover I started on last weekend finished.



Exterior shot showing the tooling and the button closure on the front. I'm still really happy with how the tooling turned out, but the pictures in natural light are making me notice all the tool marks from the beveler that I didn't get smoothed out.



Interior shot of the piece. It is lined with rust pigskin split and the journal is held in with straps of slightly lighter tooling leather. This is not actually the original plan, originally I had planned on having a pocket one each side of the journal, but I cut the main piece too short and there was no way to follow that plan and use a 5" x 7" journal refill in it. I didn't want to use a smaller refill because it didn't fit as nicely so I had to come up with an alternate plan.

I think it turned out nicely in the end but I'm still a bit frustrated with the problems I had because they were caused by me not thinking ahead.

3 comments:

Bainwen Gilrana said...

That is gorgeous! :-)

Bainwen, aka Minstrel

Noemi said...

Thank you very much!

fedaykin said...

Woow, that's wonderful. I wish I knew how to do that kind of leather stuff.