Monday, January 15, 2007

Latest leatherwork project

Yesterday I got started on a leather journal and I'm so excited about how the tooling turned out that I'm not waiting until the project is done done to talk about it.

The design is an Eastern European folk design and I decided to try inverted tooling rather than regular tooling. In inverted tooling you cut the design as normal, but bevel into the design rather than beveling out from the design. It creates an interesting texture and is really well suited to this type of design. I got the idea to try it from this older tip sheet by Al Stohlman which features a Pennsylvania Dutch folk design. On a whim, I decided to try copper paint on the design before I antiqued the piece expecting the copper paint to end up being very muted. It didn't and even though it didn't end up the way I had expected I am really thrilled with the effect. The whole thing has got me really fired up about doing leatherwork again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice!