Thursday, May 31, 2007

Inadequacy and disconnect

I was off from work today to go to several appointments and while I was out I stopped and picked up the latest edition of Craft: and as usual I'm struck with a combination of feelings looking at it. First I'm really thrilled with the fact that it has become cool to make things again and I'm amazed at the skills of the people that they feature. At the same time I feel a bit down because it doesn't seem like anyone feels that working with leather in any form can be a part of this movement. Is that most people that leatherwork can only be Western style tooling or stamped stuff that you mad a camp? Is it the whole 'working with leather is icky' thing? Is it because most leatherwork is functional and therefore doesn't end up being or can't be as edgy as other crafts?I don't know, but I find it really frustrating.

Something that added to this frustration was looking over the information for a series that ran last night on PBS, Craft in America. I wasn't able to see the shows so I was looking over the site and discovered they didn't feature any leatherworkers. Again, I have no idea why, since it is a craft that has continued especially out here in the Rocky Mountain region.

So, what to do about it? I can write letters and make suggestions but will that be effective? I don't feel like I have enough of a presence to really make an impression, but would it hurt, I have no idea. All I know for sure is that I'm starting to feel like someone has to do it or we'll be stuck in the shadows like this forever and eventually get lost because we missed the bus. The question really is, can my usual tendency to be the person to do something because it needs to be done overcome my desire to stay out of the limelight.

No comments: