Saturday, July 14, 2007

Bamboo ACEO

This piece is my first full scale try on the new stains over paint.


Above is the piece after it was painted. I chose this design because I've wanted to use it for a while now and it seemed like it would look nice with the green tea stain. The design itself is based on a Japanese textile design and I did basic inverted carving on it. The paint is a metallic brown for the trunk and metallic moss green for the leaves.


This is the piece after being stained. It's not perfect because I didn't realize that you have to rub the stain into the leather to get it to take well so it is uneven and shifted around when I put the finish on, but it's not too bad. I think it's interesting that it makes the tooled portions look like they have verdigris on them, that may be something to keep in mind for later projects.

No comments: