Friday, August 10, 2007

New card case



This is my second try at this design, I ran into problems with the finish and what it did to the stain. It didn't quite work out the way I had wanted on this one either, but the color is a lot more even across the whole piece here. The first one looked like two different projects had been cobbled together. The problem is that the stain tends to sit on top of the leather a bit and if you get too much finish on a piece it picks it up and you get patterns that look like water staining where it pools. It isn't a bad effect, just not what I was I was hoping for on this piece.


This is a close up of the tooling on the front. It is silhouette carving and the design is one of the ones from Al Stohlman's book on inverted and silhouette carving. I really like the look of these scroll designs so I expect I'll be doing more of them in the future.

1 comment:

Felicia said...

Very pretty!