Thursday, December 27, 2007

The downside to being creative

Actually there are several downsides to it. The first is that it can be hard to fit it into your life, and a lot of times other things suffer because you have to give something up. The biggest downside, at least for me, is storing supplies. On average a side of cowhide runs about 24 square feet (a full hide averages around 50 square feet) and ideally you should store the leather flat. If you don't have the room to do that, it has to be stored in rolls because it's too stiff to fold unless it is a thin garment leather. To protect the leather and keep it as clean as possible I will leave it in the boxes that it is shipped in which adds to the problem. To illustrate here are some pictures of my storage area:



On the left are the leather boxes. The front one has a tooling side in it, the large box means it is rolled a bit looser and that makes it easier to flatten out. On the right is a set of metal shelves that holds my shipping supplies, paints, dyes and a bin with larger lightweight pieces of leather. Right now I have another side of tooling leather in the same size box I need to fit in the closet.


A closer shot showing a bit of the boxes that are hiding behind the big one.


An even closer shot, each of the other boxes has a large piece of leather in it, the short box in the forefront has a full hide of teal cowhide nubuck in it.

I love working with leather, but there are days that I wonder why I didn't get into something that takes up less space.

2 comments:

Sunny Rising Leather said...

Gosh -- I completely understand the space issue!!!!

Noemi said...

It's funny, no one ever mentioned trying to find storage space as one of the cons when I started doing leather work. They only mentioned the cost of tools and such.