Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tendrils journal cover step two


And here it is with the design cut. About midway through I really started to wonder if doing it in silhouette carving is the best way to go. (Coincidentally that was also about the same point my hand started cramping and I started to wonder what I was thinking when I chose this design. All of these things may or may not be connected.) If I change directions then I'll do somewhat traditional tooling and have the tendrils stand out and background the. . .well the background of the design. I'm going to let it sit a day or two and decide then.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Tendrils journal cover


This is the beginning of my newest large project, the next step will be to cut the design and start tooling. (Well, after I go back and put the remaining bit of the design in on the lower right corner.) The current plan is to do silhouette carving for the tooling, dye the main part of the cover green and paint the tooled section in burgundy. Now that I have it transferred to the leather I'm wondering if it's going to turn into one of those "what was I thinking" sort of pieces.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

The saga of the ginkgo wallet


It looks pretty innocuous, doesn't it? Just a bi-fold wallet with ginkgo leaves. Looks can be deceiving though, this ended up being a Murphy's law project, almost everything that could go wrong did. Here are the steps the project went through:

1. Get request. Establish that the customer wants same design and colors as the ginkgo checkbook cover in shop, ID pocket on the back of the wallet, tooling on the front and the interior of the interior should have a coin purse.
2. Get sick.
3. Begin to look for ID card pocket from suppliers. Determine I can get them but they won't work for this piece so I figure out how to make my own.
4. Go to get pre-assembled wallet interior, discover that Tandy no longer carries them and doesn't even have them in of their kits so I can't scavenge one. Manager at local Tandy can't find any in the system.
5. Give customer update and then begin digging through my books to see if I can figure out how to make a coin purse. I find some possible options.
6. Spend a couple of weeks tinkering to see what is going to work to make a coin purse for wallet interior.
7. Tool, paint, stain and seal wallet exterior. Realize I'm going to have to figure out a different way to attach closure strap.
8. Sew ID pocket on and put wallet interior together.
9. Get closure strap in, line wallet, get interior in and ready to sew together. . .and realize closure strap is not long enough.
10. Pull old closure strap out.
11. Make new closure strap and then reassemble wallet pieces.
12. Finally sew wallet together.

All in all it took me almost 2 months to make what seemed like a pretty straight forward piece. The up side is that I figured out how to do a few new things. The down side is I figured out ways to do some things better as I was sewing the wallet together.

Sunday, May 03, 2009

No really I'm still alive

Another large gap between posts, I'm just not sure if I'm ever going to get better about that. I get these great ideas for posts and then never get around to posting.


At any rate, I had some family stuff come up and then went on vacation and I've been trying to get back on track since then. I did manage to get the small bag with the embroidered strips done but i need to re-work the design so no pictures of it yet. I have some custom pieces I've been working on and new wide stamped cuffs so hopefully I can get back to posting pictures of new stuff soon.

I'm on Twitter now too (link to the right) I'm not sure how much better I'll be to posting there but it seems to fit better with my random thought patterns.