Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tendrils journal cover, completed

Yes, I'm finally done with it, after what, like 6 months, maybe more? It took so long because I set it aside to work on other things and never picked it back up and the most embarrassing thing is I set it aside after I'd finished the tooling which is the most time consuming part. I'm happy with the way it turned out, even if a few things aren't quite like I imagined they would be.


The biggest thing that is different than I imagined is the color of the paint I used in the tooling. It is a much more purple burgundy than I expected, but that's my fault because I didn't actually look at the paint until I started using it. The green isn't as even or as dark as I would like, but I always struggle with that problem with blue and green dyes. The uneven dye makes it look a bit older and worn though which isn't a bad thing.

So, now it's on to the next big project, I've got a few ideas but not sure which way to go yet. In the meantime I am going to try to do some tutorials, definitely one on card cases and one on embroidering on leather (and similar materials). I also may try to document a project from the beginning. We'll see, hopefully I can stick with it and actually do that.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Belts and card cases, oh my!

I've mainly been working on a couple of custom pieces, an embroidered two pocket card case and a belt, and I got them done last week so here are some pictures:





The case is blue top grain leather with alternating stripes of light and medium blue embroidery done with silk floss. I got a bit silly and did the stripes on the two interior pockets as well. The case is lined with a lovely dark blue suede

The belt was made for a friend. It is 1 inch wide and stamped with a repeating diamond design that will make it easy to resize in the future.

I may try to do some little tutorial posts in the near fututure, maybe one on how I make card cases and another on doing embroidery on leather. I'm hoping that will get me to post more frequently. I am also trying to get the lattice journal, notebook cover and interlace card case sewn together so hopefully I'll have pictures of those to post soon as well.